Sunday, November 26, 2006

Whew...finally finished!

Okay, 1980 WAS a pretty good year overall. I graduated high school, hadn't yet gotten my Flock of Seagulls hairdo, and had my whole life in front of me:-) However, I just couldn't live with our old circa 1980 powder room with it's brushed stainless vanity, chrome bijou light bar, and grey fixtures (left) any more. Only problem is, our crumbling master bath and sagging foundation are a much higher priority, especially in terms of the budget. What's a creative-but-budget-challenged girl to do?

After a little thought and research, I decided to try making my own wallpaper. What looks nice with grey and silver? Hmmm. Something purplish...yeah, that's the ticket! Unrolled some nice craft paper, slathered and spattered on a few coats of plum, grey and white glazes, then hit it with a little black Spray Webbing. While this was drying, I used my favorite old cheap, hairy paintbrush and scrubbed on a mixture of half dusky plum-c0lored paint and half glaze (plus a squirt of silver to grey it down a bit). Then, I tore my painted paper into largish irregular pieces and covered one wall (left side in photo below).



When I started tearing and pasting the paper, I struggled to decide about the tear lines. Should I re-tear so that none of the brown craft paper would show? Ultimately DH helped me decide that it actually gave a rather interesting faux-marble effect...if there were such a thing as plummy marble, of course. Plays off the faux-marble floor tiles, too.



After allowing the paint to cure and sleeping on it, I decided the painted walls were a bit too dark and flat so I mixed up a little Interference Blue in a lot of glaze and scrubbed this on over the painted walls. Now they have a slight silvery-blue sheen when the light hits them a certain way. Boy, my arm and shoulder muscles got a serious workout with all this glaze-scrubbing!

The cherry on top is the slight touch of silver foil that I heat-transferred to tiny areas of the spray webbing. A couple of chunky canvas collages and a few accessories and we're like, wow...2000-something. Hopefully this won't have to tide us over for too many more decades. Now if you have any cheap ideas for making over that light bar, send 'em my way!

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Nice job on the bathroom walls!
Wish I had an idea for the light fixture. Mike put one like that up in our bathroom one day when I was gone, and I made him take it down... I wasn't his favorite wife that day. ;)