Friday, November 16, 2007

Antique? Who you callin' antique?

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Her Most Serene Highness Lady Marilyn the Antique of Much Leering
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title


I saw this on a friend's blog & just had to go check it out for myself, since it's so wonderfully funny and whimsical. And the title it spat out for me seems quite apropos, being as it's my birthday this weekend. But I do take exception to that bit about antique!

I've been fighting off a serious case of the blues for the past couple of weeks. I was dreading my birthday since DH is now in PA for his new job, DD is STILL in the hospital, and my closest friend here just lost her job and is in no mood to celebrate. Another birthday all alone. (Well, okay, not alone exactly since Darcy the Wonderdog is not only here, but needs lots and lots of attention.) So I signed up to go volunteer for part of the day tomorrow at a distribution center for the needy. Nothing like giving stuff out to folks who really, really need & appreciate it to make one feel very blessed.

And then I got a real slap in the face yesterday morning when I learned that my precious little German grandmother in Texas has pancreatic cancer. The docs who operated on her at her local hospital took what they could, then closed her up & recommended taking her to MD Anderson Cancer Institute in Houston to see what they'd recommend. But first she must get back on her feet from this week's surgery and weigh her options.

I have cried so much the past couple of days and suddenly my little case of the blues over distant family and my self-absorption seem so trivial. I've been wondering what I'd do if I thought this might be my last birthday. Odd thing is, I'm not at all sure. But I think of Oma & wonder if she's thinking this coming holiday season might be her last. What would YOU do if you suspected your next birthday might be your last?

No comments: