Sunday, May 31, 2009

Must Come Down

Spent some time on the couch with a good book this afternoon (Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger. Highly recommended!) but inevitably found myself "on the nods". A strange, repetitive sound eventually roused me from my stupor so doglet and I went outside to investigate. I was stunned to see what appeared to be a HUGE hot air balloon hovering just above the house across the street as the pilot tried again and again to fire it up.
Said pilot successfully maneuvered the thing to a clear spot behind my neighbor's house and set it down without incident. The pooch and I set off on foot to investigate, along with every other dog walker, cyclist, runner, skater and scooter in the vicinity. A van pulled up as we were hoofing it around the block to ask if we'd seen a runaway balloon. When we arrived it was being deflated and was eventually whisked away in the van. The poor pilot roundly ignored all questions and left without a word.

No comments: